Army Burn Hall College for Boys

History of Burn Hall

Burn Hall traces its history back to 1943 when missionaries from St. Joseph's Society Mill Hill, London, established the Burn Hall School in Srinagar. It was named after an English Manor House, which had a hall with a stream (Burn) running through it, hence, the name 'Burn Hall'. In 1943, the missionaries established Burn Hall School in a rented home in Srinagar, with the motto "Industria Floremus - In Toil We Flourish". In 1948, Father Tijssen set up Burn Hall School in a small hotel building, the Abbot Hotel. Father Scanlon: the first Principal of the school along with Borekamp and Mallet were appointed in staff.
The Fathers replicated the system and promoted sports and extra-curricular activities such as music, debate, dramatics, and art as a means of character building. Later on, additional space was acquired and more buildings were added to accommodate an increasing number of students and the school came under the control of the Diocesan Board, of Education, Rawalpindi. In 1956, a school building was constructed a few miles outside the town, on Mansehra Road, the present location. Its purpose was to provide more room for the seniors and it became known as Senior Burn Hall, while the campus in the city center initially became Junior Burn Hall and later Burn Hall for Girls. In 1977, the Burn Hall School Abbottabad, was handed over to the Pakistan Army, being located on ‘A’ land and purchased from Fathers.

History of Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle with its magical powers is considered as the deadliest natural hunting weapon, and most cherished bird of the mangols. In attack mode it is one of the fastest animals on earth and lethal aerial predator in the animal kingdom. It often flies in a slight dihedral, which means the wings are often held in a slight, upturned. The race is found in central Kazakhstan, eastern Iran, China and along the Himalayas. Golden eagles are found in early cultures and older religions as well as national and military insignias. The symbolic meaning of the golden eagle is that of strong will, foresight, manliness and empowerment. The Golden Eagle comes into our lives as a message that an inevitable opportunity is beginning to surface and will open, therefore, will be received and, hence, finds linkages with the motto Quo Non Ascendam.

Quo Non Ascendam (To What Height Can I not Rise?)


History of the motto can be traced back to 17th century. First time the motto ‘Quo Non Ascendet’ (What heights will he not scale?) appears on coat’s arm of Nicolas Fouquet, the then finance minister of King Louis XIV in France.
The symbol can be found in many rooms and decorations at Vaux-le-Vicomte. The impressive monogram with inspirational motto stimulates students’ inner capability, their self-confidence and ability to achieve the impossible.

Houses History

Syed Ahmad Shaheed (SAS) House



Syed Ahmad Shaheed Barelvi (1786–1831), was a revolutionary Islamist and hero of the Battle of Balakot in 1831. He is considered the first modern Islamic leader to lead a movement that was ‘religious, military and political’. Thus, Syed Ahmad Shaheed has become a symbol of the gallantry character, bravery and fighting for the rightful and just cause. Owing to these characteristics St Gabriel's House was re-named as SAS House. SAS House is a classic example of British architecture. It is a two storey building with the capacity of accommodating more than 150 students.

Shah Ismail Shaheed(SIS) House



Shah Ismail Shaheed was a man of word as well as action. He was an Islamic scholar and a warrior in the jihad proclaimed by Syed Ahmed Shaheed with the support of Pushtoon tribes against the Sikh Kingdom in Punjab. Shah Ismail was a devoted follower and companion of Syed Ahmad Shaheed. He was martyred on 6 May 1831 during a fierce battle at Balakot. Like Syed Ahmad Shaheed, Shah Ismail Shaheed has also shown the path of liberation to the Muslims of India. Taking into the consideration of the great sacrifices of Shah Ismail Shaheed, the St Michael House was re-named as Shah Ismail Shaheed House. It is located in the new Academic Block building with the capacity to accommodate more than 150 students.

Sultan Tipu Shaheed (STS) House


Sultan Tipu Shaheed, the Tiger of Mysore, was a brave, capable and innovative ruler and is considered a pioneer of rocket artillery. He continued fighting the British and defeated them in 1783. He was martyred on 4 May 1799 at Sriangapatna, during Fourth Anglo-Mysore War with the forces of the British East India Company, supported by the Marathas and the Nizam of Hyderabad. Sultan Tipu is held in high esteem by the Muslims of Subcontinent due to heroism, valor and fearlessness. His towering image inspires the young generation.
Due to his unparalleled steadfastness and valour against British imperialism, one of the hostels of Burn Hall has been named after him. Sultan Tipu Shaheed House was constructed in 1980s.

Sher Khan Shaheed (SKS) House


Captain Karnal Sher Khan Shaheed, Nishan-e-Haider-1999, is a hero of our times, who fought and martyred at Kargil. During the battle, the commanding officer of Indian Army wrote that Captain Karnal Sher Khan Shaheed must awarded the highest military award. Taking into consideration of his devotion, commitment, determination and inspirer heroism, one of the hostel of Burn Hall has been named after him. Sher Khan Shaheed House is consisted of two blocks (A & B). Junior students: from 5th class to 8th class are accommodated in B block. While the senior students are accommodated in A Block.

Saif Ali Janjua Shaheed (SJS) House

Born on 25 April 1922, in Khandbaz Tehsil Nakial (Azad Jammu & Kashmir). He was enrolled in the Royal Corps of Engineers in British Indian Army on 18 March 1941. After retirement he helped in establishment of Haidri Force on 1 January 1948, as Sher-e-Riast Battalion' under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Muhammad Sher Khan. Due to his dedication, he was promoted as Naik and appointed as platoon commander. He set personal examples of gallantry and inflicted heavy losses on the enemy at Bhudha Khanna area where his post was located. He defended the post with chivalry and repulsed many aggressive ventures by the enemy. During the battle he was seriously injured and embraced Martyrdom on 26 October, 1948. On 14th March, 1949, the Defence Council of Azad Jammu & Kashmir adorned him with Hilal-e-Kashrnir (posthumous) and on 30th November 1995, Government of Pakistan declared his Hilal-e-Kashmir equivalent to Nishan-e Haider.

Shabbir Sharif Shaheed (SSS) House

Born on 28 April 1943, in Kunjah,Gujarat District. He was commissioned in Frontier Force Regiment on 19 April 19. In December 1971, Major Shabbir Sharif, being a company commander of 6th Frontier Force Regiment, was ordered to capture high ground near Sulemanki Headworks, which was defended by more than a company of the Assam Regiment along with a squadron of tanks. Major Shabbir Sharif captured that area, killing forty-three Indian soldiers and destroying four tanks. Major Shabbir Sharif and his men repulsed counter attack by two enemy battalions. On 6th December 1971, he was directly hit by a tank shell and embraced martyrdorn.